Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Sir Confused

I am a 40-year old man, and have been dating a 34-year-old woman for almost a year. I have been divorced two years, no children, and I'm really looking to get married again and hopefully still have a family.

Stupidity uh, Hope breeds eternal.

Having said that, my marriage and divorce was awful and I don't intend to go through that again so I'm being careful.

Are you now?

My girlfriend is perfect in almost every way - we have a lot in common, we want the same things, and we are mutually attracted to each other.

Wait a minute. Let me take a deep breath first. Sentences like these are usually followed by a but(t) the size of Texas.

The problem is she is seriously depressed. She told me she has been on medication for depression for years. I have decided she is worth the effort, and I have bent over backwards to show her that she can count on me, that she can still have a happy life, and that I'm serious about this.

There we go again. Another Knight Wannabe.

I have been giving, expecting and receiving little in return, for almost a year now, and I'm running out of gas.

Saving the world is losing its luster already? Tsk, tsk, they just don't make knights like they used to...

She knows this, and feels terribly guilty about it, which only serves to make things worse. I want to help but I don't know what else I can do at this point. She breaks into tears many times a day, she sleeps constantly, there is little affection between us, and almost no sex life.

It never fails to amaze me what people consider to be an almost perfect mate.

She sees a counselor occasionally, and there are plans to change her medication when circumstances allow it, but obviously there is no guarantee that things will ever change. When she is not crying, things are great.

How comforting to know that blatant denial is an equal opportunity act.

The rest of her family have been very supportive of me and appreciate what I have done and how hard this has been for me.

The payoffs of being the martyr. So sweet, so uplifting, so rewarding... so short-lived.

My main question is, how long do I continue to do this, knowing to some extent time is running out for me at 40 (please, no "men can have kids when they are 80" reasoning).

People who procreate after a certain age are either pathetic or senile.

I've done this so far because I thought she was worth it, but I've been burned before seing people the way I want them to be, rather than the way they really are.

Damn, that was a deep. Imagine if you'd actually put some of that self-reflection to use. You'd be dangerous.

Do people at her age and extent of depression recover enough to have happy lives?

Facing up to this illness and taking personal responsibility for its treatment is vital. Nothing you have written indicates this woman is facing up to anything, except her mildewed pillow.

Is there hope for her (us)?

Oh yeah, lots and lots of hope. Please, no thank you's. Just don't name any of your kids after me.

Is there anything else I can do to help her?

Yes. When she starts running to jump off from that 15 story building, make sure you get out of her way.

7 Comments:

At 3/01/2006, Blogger overactive-imagination said...

Some people never cease to amaze me. If he considers this woman almost perfect than I must be perfection reincarnate!!. Go me!!
Keep 'em coming girl. I LIVE to read your new entries.

Dawn

 
At 3/01/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn...he wants kids, but has his heart set on a chick who is depressed, doesn't have sex with him and is 37.

Let's see... her age, her medication and her condition all, to one degree or another, make her a less than ideal candidate to have a baby.

What the hell. Go for it. That way you can ruin the kid's life too!

 
At 3/01/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"People who procreate after a certain age are either pathetic or senile"

What is that age?

 
At 3/01/2006, Blogger (Not) Dear Abby said...

You know it's too late to have a child when the chances of reading your name in tomorrows' obituaries outrank those of attending your child's highschool graduation.

Then, it's not only pathetic/senile, it's selfish as well. It's one thing to die unexpectedly while your child is still growing up, but it's another to actually provoke it.

 
At 3/02/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What ever happened to Pro Choice?
I'm 26 and in Med school my husband is 33. Why can't we choose to have children later when I'm finished my education?
40 is not old when you consider that many people today will live to be near 100 and can be active if they take care of their health.
Selfish is children raising children on low paying jobs because they were in a hurry to play house.

 
At 3/02/2006, Blogger ab said...

that has NOTHING to do with pro choice anonymous!

that has to do with wanting to provide a certain lifestyle for your child.

sheesh!

 
At 6/13/2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree that this guy is most likely in for a big disappointment. Did it occur to anyone how hard it is to get past a long term depression, that it's not something to joke about and look down at? My husband has been there for me for 20+ years through all of my up and down cycles and I love him for that. I sometimes wonder (in my down swings) how he can keep being there for me without wanting to run as fast and far as he can.

I have switched to a new doctor and am actually starting to feel better about myself than I have EVER felt. I'm finally doing things that I never felt I could do!

My suggestion to him would be to go to a doctor's appt with her and see what the situation really is, maybe suggest she see another doctor. Then talk with her openly about his commitment and support of her,IF she is willing to also commit to working towards a brighter future.

If she's not, then he should move on.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home