Friday, July 15, 2005

Ex Calls Out Of The Blue

About a month or so ago, my ex-boyfriend called after not having any contact with for 2 years.

Oh.

We had dated for 2 years, he was going through a divorce and broke things off because he wanted to "date" after being married so long.

That´s a common theme among divorced guys.

Anyway ... about a month ago, he called me on a Saturday night at 9:00 pm. To me and in the single world, I believe, that is "date night".

It´s also known as "desperation night". The night when calling up old girlfriends suddenly seems like a really good idea, because there is no date within a 20 mile radius and likely hasn´t been in quite a while.

He asked if I had a minute, then proceeded to tell me he had been thinking about me, etc. etc. We talked about general things (family, life, weather) for an hour. At the end of the call, he told me he thinks about me often and hopes that I think about him still too.

Ugh.

He called about 3 weeks after that on a Friday night at 8pm and we only talked for 1/2 hour and about the same general topics. I just found it odd.

It´s not odd at all to call at two nights when women are generally with friends/someone and test the waters.

What do you think? Is he interested again?

He sounds interested alright. The question should be, for what?

And if he is/was, why didn't he say anything like that?

Because he´s lonely and just looking for a fill-in?

We had a great relationship at one point in time, and when he broke things off, it took me a very long time to recover from it. Part of me feels like "Well, well, well - finally found out that the dating single world isn't what you thought it would be". haha - I know, mean.

Not mean at all. Just very realistic.

But a bigger part of me just feels like "Why are you calling me now?" It's not like we ended as friends. I was entirely too hurt to just be friends.

Another good reason to excercise caution with this man. He used you once as a crutch when he was going through a difficult divorce and basically threw you away once he was done.

If he really wants anything more than some reminiscing phone-calls he better be willing to go through some serious hoops. An invitation to come over for a movie (ie. booty call) won´t and shouldn´t be enough.

Btw, he is 52 and I am 49. So we are a bit older and it's not a game playing situation.

For your information, age does not exclude "playing games".

Part of me would not mind trying with him again,

The "I have nothing better going at the moment either" part. Work on that, please.

another part says ... better not.

Listen to it.

1 Comments:

At 9/20/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

doesn't sound like she's in a hurry for a relationship though. She should just go out with him and see how it goes. But she has to go into this knowing she's going to be the transitional person.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home