Friday, July 08, 2005

Obssesed with his Ex

This is my first serious relationship, and his second. He was previously with Becky for 2 years while in university. From what he's told me, they grew apart, she cheated on him, he found out, and they had a bad breakup. They did not stay friends after this, they don't have any mutual friends, and she moved to a city 6 hours away, so they didn't see each other anymore.

Sounds like your average relationship breakup.

My problem is, I don't feel like he's over her.

Whatever gave you that idea...

Throughout our relationship, he's talked about her all the time. He's told me cute stories about her, talked about great things she's done. He's even just referred to her as a bitch sometimes and seemed bitter over what she did to him, and then goes right back to reminiscing about her.

How would a woman stay over a year with a guy who always talks about his ex is beyond me. Isn´t it common knowledge that anybody who constantly talks about his ex to his new flame just has to be bad news. And if it isn´t, why not?!

She used to love cooking, so whenever I cook something for him, he outwardly compares it to something she made. Like when I made a stir fry, he didn't stop talking about the sauce she would make from scratch for her stir frys. I tried to interrupt and talk about what I put in my sauce, but he just kept going on about hers.

And who compares his Ex´s cooking to hers!

I have told him that hearing about her bothers me, and I don't like being so blatantly compared, and I've asked him to stop. He's apologized, said he'd stop. But after a little while of not mentioning her, he starts again, and we end up having the same fight repeatedly.

There are meds for this.

He's also called me Becky 3 times. Including in front of my friends, and in front of someone who was friends with his ex.

That´s beyond the pale.

Recently, he started a new job and we moved to a new city and a new apartment. He's been bringing his stuff from his parents house to the new place for the past 2 months. I kept wondering why he felt the need to bring her pictures, why they were packed with the rest of his stuff, why he had a whole collection of pictures of her together, like a small shrine.

Because he has a mental condition?

So would it be wrong for me to tell him to pack up his memories of her, including the pictures, and the gifts?

Your question should be, why do I even feel the need to ask such a question.

And am I just overreacing in general about this whole thing?

I give up. Yes, yes, of course, now shut up and put up with it.

I've never known another guy that seemed so hung up on his ex, I wasn't sure if what he's doing is normal?

If it were normal would that make it ok?

2 Comments:

At 7/09/2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only one of those I think i've ever done is accidently do the wrong name... Did you make this up? Because the asker needs more than YOUR help... (nice, humorous answers).

 
At 9/20/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How would a woman stay over a year with a guy who always talks about his ex is beyond me.

however... that does mean he can COMMIT.. So there is a positive outlook on this guy. He just needs to see that this girl is better than the ex somehow. She needs not to be jealous, but to be "on his side" and acknowledge that she is hearing him out and understands him. THEN... SHE is going to be the "GOOD" one. But it's tough to do that. She has to have the right frame of mind and patience to be able to do this. And since he is her first love or whatever... more than likely they will not work out. Everyone needs to be with others while being this young, and see what they are really looking for. Or there is a lot of wasted time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home